A Recovery Blog

This blog is about my continuing recovery from severe mental illness and addiction. I celebrate this recovery by continuing to write, by sharing my music and artwork and by exploring Buddhist and 12 Step ideas and concepts. I claim that the yin/yang symbol is representative of all of us because I have found that even in the midst of acute psychosis there is still sense, method and even a kind of balance. We are more resilient than we think. We can cross beyond the edge of the sane world and return to tell the tale. A deeper kind of balance takes hold when we get honest, when we reach out for help, when we tell our stories.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Profile Of A Dancer


Well, I'm on a roll. Just chose three new photographs to paint from Flickr today. This painting is based on a photo by Alaskan Dude. This woman was part of a Middle Eastern Dance group last summer in Anchorage, Alaska. It's a lot of fun getting good photographs from around the world. It's exciting to get a view into other cultures. In the next two photographs I will paint I have one of an African American boy dancing on the street in Newark, New Jersey and another of two Balinese boys dressed in traditional costumes, also dancing. That's my theme right now--dancers. And in terms of portraits of people, it's a good theme. I also wrote a blog entry on my Artid site about painting if you want to read it. Someone sent me a brief email from Artid saying they really liked my artwork which boosted me up. I want to get more involved with Artid now that I've returned to a regular practice. I'm just going to keep working and posting images of my paintings here, on Artid and on Facebook.

1 comment:

Bev said...

Kate,

I love this painting. I'm a fan of all of your work, but this one is one of my favorites!