A Recovery Blog

This blog is about my continuing recovery from severe mental illness and addiction. I celebrate this recovery by continuing to write, by sharing my music and artwork and by exploring Buddhist and 12 Step ideas and concepts. I claim that the yin/yang symbol is representative of all of us because I have found that even in the midst of acute psychosis there is still sense, method and even a kind of balance. We are more resilient than we think. We can cross beyond the edge of the sane world and return to tell the tale. A deeper kind of balance takes hold when we get honest, when we reach out for help, when we tell our stories.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Caution To Be Tolerant

I've given my cd to my brother, my therapist and four friends so far. No feedback yet. I've been listening to the cd a lot and consulting the I Ching about people's response to it, which will be mixed. I just want to say to those who listen to it, try to be tolerant. I am far from perfect and some of the songs might offend you. Try and look to the songs that you like and leave the rest. I know I need to keep in mind that I can't please everyone. Some people will respond positively to what I've done and others will be critical, that's just the nature of life. But, of course, I'm hoping someone will get something from it and that my circle of friends will widen and deepen. I've been isolated for so long and I need the support of those who are comfortable enough to give it. For those who are not comfortable with the cd, just ignore it, let it go and move on. Or give me some constructive criticism, that would be welcome.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the music; it is what it is. It covers a certain time in my life--age 33 to 36. I had just escaped a very abusive relationship and I was full of sickness and attitude along with some righteous indignation. I became attracted to three different men, one after another--one who was single and I could have approached, but I wasn't ready to get involved. The next was a painting teacher of mine who was married. I imagined that he was attracted to me, but he probably wasn't and I didn't approach him either. Both of these attractions I now consider pre-psychotic ones, that is there were elements of sickness in them. The final man that I was attracted to was not really someone in my life, but a delusion and that was when I was just falling into psychosis. He was a rock star that I sent a tape to just before I became paranoid and delusional. He, too, was married at the time, but I thought he was in an abusive relationship with his wife. I thought he was following me and spying on me because he was attracted to me. That seems to be another theme, that I thought some men were attracted to me, when they obviously weren't. But regardless of that, I made up some heartfelt songs about all three of the men I became fixated on.

So there's a combination of romance and music and mental illness in all this. I don't have a clear perspective on it because I'm too close to it, but maybe those who listen to the cd will be able to see this more with more vision. But it's not just mental illness, there's also health and strength mixed in. There's something to be said for those who can take some attitude and walk with it. I think a lot of the best songwriters out there do just that, both talk the talk and walk the walk. By choosing to make songs, I was attempting to walk the walk. Sometimes I succeeded and other times I didn't, but I had the courage (and hopefully still have the courage) to take a stand within myself and now before you. Remember I was seriously abused in a romantic relationship and that colored my attitude, but it also gave me the right to have a voice and to speak out, if only to myself in my music room.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I am human, just like you. I've made my share of mistakes and I live with that. But I still hope that the music can make a bridge to somewhere good. Try to stay open minded.

5 comments:

Feminist Voice with Disabilities said...

Hi Kate~

I have only listened to the first couple songs, just because I haven't had a lot of time to sit down and listen to the whole cd yet. But I really liked the songs I did hear. I especially liked the one called, "Sorry", and it sounds very heartfelt and backed by emotions. I think it is a good song with some lyrics that will stick in people's minds.

Also, I think you have real, definite talent as a musician, which is something I admire a great deal in those who have it, because I do not have that at all myself and always wished I did! If I was you, I would go forward with putting songs on myspace where others can hear them, although that is a big disclosure of your personal thoughts and feelings, so I understand if that is not something you want to do right now.

There are so many musicians on myspace that do that, it would seem like a logical step and since you mentioned it before, I just thought I would let you know I think that is a good idea.

I'll listen to the rest of the songs as soon as I get a chance. I didn't want to play them when I go to bed because every night I fall asleep listening to music, and I would not be able to say anything about the music after falling asleep in the middle of it.

I hope you're having a good week! I am sending you some cds asap.

Take care,

Jen

nancy said...

Hi Kate,

I haven't received the CD yet. However, I can already tell you from your post that you are in a strong place or you wouldn't have had the courage to share and send the CD. I am very anxious to hear it. We have spoken and chatted on-line and you know I adore your paintings. I connect with you on a very deep level and I feel certain I will gain some insight about life from your songs. The reason I believe this is that you are so honest and the deep honesty and strength you share about your life is so loving and giving that already I hear your music through your writing and the paintings you do. I tend to believe the arts are connected. Some artists may focus on only one medium, but my hunch is that you are deeply affected by the visual, as well as, by the sound medium.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,

I am very much looking forward to receiving a CD. I have plenty of time to listen to it and don't think I will be disturbed by the lyrics. In fact, It would only deepen my understanding of your life and what you have been through. Besides, if you have the self-esteem to send it out to people, then I know it must indeed be good, because you would not do so otherwise! So I can't wait to hear it, in short. I am hoping it is in the mail even as I write this, but if you have lost my address, just let me know and I will email it to you. Congratulations on all your hard work, both on your blog and music and art, but also on yourself, and your self-esteem. It's so good to hear you giving yourself a boost.

Yours friend, as always,

Wagblog/Pam W/Schizophrenia: it's not the end

Wanderer said...

Hi Jen and Nancy,

Thanks for the support. Nancy I don't know why you haven't gotten the cd yet. If you don't get it soon I'll try sending it to you again.

Jen thanks again for listening. I'm afraid I'm not a musician, but I sometimes can see myself as a singer/songwriter. I wish I could really play the guitar. I know only a few chords and a few rhythms. I work within my own limitations only because I have to. Thanks for encouraging me to put some songs on MySpace. I have to wait and see.

Nancy, I hope when you do hear the cd that you will keep in mind that some of the attitude in my songs does have to do with just being out of an abusive relationship and also that other songs are basically delusional--though I don't think they sound that way particularly. You'll get a feel for me, but it won't all be pleasant. There's darkness/sickness in it along with the good stuff. If you can stay open, you should be able to get some good out of listening to it. I hope so anyway and if not, let it go.

Kate

Bev said...

Kate....I just got it. Thank you so much for trusting me enough to have a copy. I can't wait to listen to it and as soon as I do I will let you know what I think.