A Recovery Blog

This blog is about my continuing recovery from severe mental illness and addiction. I celebrate this recovery by continuing to write, by sharing my music and artwork and by exploring Buddhist and 12 Step ideas and concepts. I claim that the yin/yang symbol is representative of all of us because I have found that even in the midst of acute psychosis there is still sense, method and even a kind of balance. We are more resilient than we think. We can cross beyond the edge of the sane world and return to tell the tale. A deeper kind of balance takes hold when we get honest, when we reach out for help, when we tell our stories.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Poem: The Great Spirit Is Here


The Great Spirit Is Here

I am of nature, yet not in nature.
No, I am in my house.
This is a real house
And this house is a symbol
Of my soul.
It is a dirty, cluttered house
Where things needed are hard to find.
Yet there is peace in this house
And a simplicity within my spirit.

The Great Spirit is here in me, in this house
And all around this house
And in the atmosphere of this world
And beyond the atmosphere of this world
And out in other worlds
And fueling all the suns in the universe.
This Spirit in its holy freedom
Has endless lessons to teach.

Yesterday's lesson was and Today's lesson is:
Put First Things First.
First there is the soul
Which must be tended to like a secret garden.
The flowers there and the food cannot survive
Without the sun, without the water, without a rich soil,
Without the firm but gentle hand of the gardener.
Even I, who have no green thumb for the physical soil,
The real out doors, I do tend to my spiritual garden
Every day and every night and even in my sleep.

Sometimes I feel graced by the light of awareness
And I am mindful of what I do.
Other times I am in a dream state
Where my spirit must rely on the wisdom
Hidden inside my unconscious self.

The Great Spirit rests inside our hidden minds
And speaks to us and sings to us
And lets us know in our truest selves
We are safe and loved and free.


Listen To Audio Here

No comments: