A Recovery Blog

This blog is about my continuing recovery from severe mental illness and addiction. I celebrate this recovery by continuing to write, by sharing my music and artwork and by exploring Buddhist and 12 Step ideas and concepts. I claim that the yin/yang symbol is representative of all of us because I have found that even in the midst of acute psychosis there is still sense, method and even a kind of balance. We are more resilient than we think. We can cross beyond the edge of the sane world and return to tell the tale. A deeper kind of balance takes hold when we get honest, when we reach out for help, when we tell our stories.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Abstract Landscape And Daylight Shot of Acrylic Abstract



Hi there, the bottom landscape I spent today doing in gouache. I'd like to do a series to turn into cards or posters or even a calendar. The top painting I reshot in daylight just to show how dramatically different lighting can make a piece of artwork. I prefer this photograph because the colors are truer. I've decided that I like it as is and I'm not going to re-work it, but move on to a new acrylic abstract. I think it's amazing what a change of medium and style can make. I'm not sure if you could identify both these paintings as from the same artist. That's one of the things I like about art is you can go in so many different directions.

I have not been singing and writing songs at all for the last week. I didn't like having a return of symptoms, so I figured I would cool it for a while and try again some other time. But if I hadn't had those symptoms, I might not have returned so strongly to painting, so good came out of it. The voices do not disturb me when I draw and paint, at least not much. I love being so creative. It suits me and I hope I can keep it up.

I have been making a habit of uploading photographs of my artwork not just here, but on Artid and on Facebook. Generally I put the work up for sale on Artid. Everytime you upload an image on Artid is gets shown in a key position for a day or two, possibly drawing the attention of an art collector or other Artid artists who happen to be uploading their images at the same time. That's what happened to me recently, a new Artid artist saw my work and left me a comment in my Guestbook. And today, after seeing my latest acrylic abstract, she sent me an email, which makes me feel great. I will write back to her to thank her and maybe to begin a friendship with her.

I put my work up on Facebook so my brother can see it and some of my friends who may not have visited my blog. He's said some nice things about some of my work to my mother. I am going to try to learn how to matt my work and when I do, I'm going to send a few gouache/watercolor pieces to members of my family. I just have to get to the point where I can have the confidence to do that. Working nearly every day is moving me in that direction.

5 comments:

SA said...

I agree with you. It's so easy to get a different piece with different light. I like it, looks "fresher".

ess vee said...

Hi! I came across your landscape picture on google images - would you mind if I used it for a university poster in Manchester, UK - we're having a seminar called 'learning through landscapes of practice'? Hope so - it's a great piece! I'd be happy to send you a copy once it's done. suzannevee@gmail.com

Frog the Dog said...

Hello, I also came across this via Google images; I was very attracted by the beautiful colours and shapes - its beautiful!

Wishing you well, it's a hard thing you're doing. Good for you :)

Frog the Dog said...

Hello, I also ca,e across this via Google images whilst researching abstract landscapes for my foundation degree.

I love the colours and shapes, it's just beautiful!

Im going to try abstract landscapes for a current project, and this is very inspiring, thank you!

Hopenyounare feeling strong and well, it's a hard and brave thing you are doing, good for you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.